Bis, McCarty Keep Colorado Cup in Centennial State With Rally Colorado Win
The history of rally in the state of Colorado is a storied one, with many of the best drivers to ever run the sport in the United States having visited the Centennial State at least once for an event. The former Colorado Cog in Steamboat Springs was a part of the very first Rally America season in 2005, and after an extended hiatus, the state returned to the series last year with a new host city in Rangely.
Last year’s event saw Coloradans Dave and Mike Brown take the event victory and the commemorative Colorado Cup, which celebrates the entire history of Rally America in Colorado. While Brown/Brown were the fastest car on nine of the 12 stages of this year’s event, electrical issues eliminated them from winning contention early on; instead, it was fellow Open Light competitors Steve Bis/Scott McCarty who avenged a bitter loss last year to win the event and get their names onto the Colorado Cup.
They join some of the sport’s biggest names on the side of the trophy—here’s a list of all of the names on the Colorado Cup:
- 2005: #1 Patrick Richard/Nathalie Richard, 2004 Subaru Impreza
- 2006: #199 Travis Pastrana/Christian Edstrom, 2006 Subaru Impreza WRX STi
- 2007: #43 Ken Block/Alex Gelsomino, 2006 Subaru Impreza WRX STi
- 2008: #199 Travis Pastrana/Derek Ringer, 2008 Subaru Impreza WRX STi
- 2009: #20 Andrew Comrie-Picard/Jeremy Wimpey, 2007 Mitsubishi Lancer Evo
- 2017: #194 Dave Brown/Mike Brown, 2001 Subaru Impreza RS
- 2018: #495 Steve Bis/Scott McCarty, 1999 Subaru Impreza