- Mount the photocells on their tripods and place them across the road from
one another at the flying finish. Turn them on. The Reflector unit can be
set at “Low” unless you are sending the signal an unusually long
distance like 80 meters. The Emitter unit only has on or off.
- Align the units so that the beam of light from the Emitter is reflected
directly back and the light appears to go out. Use the grooves in the tops
of the units as sights. The tripod is very flexible, and may be adjusted in
all planes. (This is not a difficult process, but it may take patience to
get them aligned properly.)
- Tighten all the connections on the tripod so that the units cannot be jostled
out of alignment.
Connect photocell to clock:
- Attach the reel of wire to the Emitter unit, green plug to green socket
and black to black.
- Unspool the wire and connect the remaining set of plugs to the clock; again,
green to green and black to black. Each spool of wire is 1000 feet or roughly
0.2 miles. You may need to run two or even three in series to reach the timing
car from the finish line.
- Plug the wires from the radio transmitter unit into the back of the Emitter
unit, as before, green to green and black to black.
- Attach the power cord from the radio transmitter to the battery box.
- Screw on the antenna.
- Position the radio transmitter and battery as far out of the road as the
cords will allow.
- Place the radio receiver on the roof of the timing car and attach the antenna.
- Insert the power cord from the radio receiver into the timing car’s
cigarette lighter outlet.
- Plug the white wires into the back of the clock, plugs labeled “2”,
green to green and black to black.
- After all finish control equipment is set up and turned on, break the light
beam at the flying finish and insure that it causes the clock to record a
time. If yes, you’re ready to go! If not, check your photocell alignment
first, then go back through these procedures to see that all is connected
Problems or Questions:
Contact Beryl Ann or Bruce, at 612-529-6821 (non-event) or during the event,
612-750-5039 or through the radio net.
Copyright © 2003 Rally America Inc.